Wednesday, 18 September 2013

Analysing AS Level students film openings

For part of our research that we thought would help with our film openings was looking at some other AS students work, so we went onto YouTube to see what kind of film openings were on there and to see if the students had used any of the typical conventions of a film opening. The opening that I decided to analyse was a horror film opening, which was convenient for me as I think this is the genre that my group and I would want to do for our own film opening.



I found a film opening named 'Hidden' and I automatically knew it was going to be a horror film because the first camera shot is an establishing shot of a house, which is where the victim lives and the camera's point of view is from the villain/murderer. Then when the shot cut to inside the house where the victim was sitting in her living room watching TV the lighting was very dark, and a tense/spooky backing track began to quietly play as the camera moved across the room. The camera also carried on reversing back to each character, from inside the house to outside where the villain was slowly beginning to make his way towards/into the victims house, and through out the opening the variety of camera shots used worked really well and built a lot of tension. The backing track also seemed to get a little louder when the villain had entered the house, which again built tension.

Also the close up of the 'blood' running down the drain adds to the gory/horror effect and ending the opening with shots of the victim laying lifeless in the bath covered in 'blood' is also very frightening. The only critic I would have was that the camera was quite blurred so it was hard to make out some things within the opening, also I don't think scissors was the best choice of weapon as it would be more scary to use something more sharp.

2 comments:

  1. Try using media terminology throughout your work. "The camera also carried on reversing back to each character." Is there is specific name for these shots?
    What weapon would you have used?
    Miss W

    ReplyDelete
  2. The type of shot that was used was a shot reverse shot as the camera did continuously reverse back to each of the characters during the scene, which created a change in atmosphere. I would have used a more frightening object for the weapon, for example a kitchen knife as they're are bigger and more sharp which means they're able to do more damage to the victim.

    ReplyDelete